Swim Team General Policies|
All swimmers and parents must read the “Swimmer” and “Parent” Responsibilities listed below and check the appropriate box on the registration form to be eligible for participation at Manor Woods. There are no exceptions to this requirement, and the form must be completed prior to the first practice.
- Regular participation at practice sessions is paramount. Every swimmer is expected to attend a daily practice if possible. Exceptional circumstances, such as work, camp, school, or vacation, should be discussed in advance with the coaches. Let the coaches know of any extended absences.
- Every effort will be made to provide each swimmer with the opportunity to compete, with seeding based on times recorded at meets. Time trials will be used for seeding for the first “A” meet only. When coaches deem necessary, placement will be decided by official swim-offs with two timers on each lane and a certified stroke and turn official on deck. These swim-offs will be open to all swimmers in that age group. Although coaches will attempt to accommodate a swimmer’s preference for certain strokes and events, the coaches’ judgment of what is best for the team will ultimately determine who swims what events.
- Any problems with dues or swim team policies should be discussed with the Team Reps or other members of the swim team committee, not the coaches.
- Parents must take responsibility for the supervision of their children at the meets. If parents can’t accompany their child to a meet, they must make arrangements for other adult supervision.
- The team posts announcements on the team website and pool bulletin board. Schedules, departure times, and other information will be posted there regularly. It is the swimmer’s responsibility to know in which meets he or she is competing. Please check the website and read the bulletin board regularly!
- “A” meets are seeded in advance. Once heat sheets for “A” meets are exchanged with the opposing team on Friday mornings, Montgomery County Swim League rules restrict coaches from changing entries. Swimmer’s who cannot attend a given meet must inform the coaches as far in advance as possible in writing, using the absent book, which is located in the pool office. In the event of last minute illness or other emergencies, swimmers must contact a coach or Team Rep. When a swimmer does not show up or refuses to swim a designated event, coaches have the authority to replace that swimmer. This may also jeopardize that swimmer’s further “A” team participation for the rest of the season.
- Exposure to the sun and strenuous activities drain a swimmer’s energy and hamper performance. While the ultimate decision is yours, we recommend that swimmers competing in meets do not engage in strenuous activities the day of “B” team meets or prior to “A” Meets.
- Swimmers and officials must report to the meets at the specified time, which is at least 45 minutes before the meet begins.
As a Manor Woods Terrapin,
- I will go to practice each day.
- If I cannot attend practice or a meet, I will sign out in the absent book as far in advance as possible. If the lineup for a meet has been posted, I will tell my coach.
- I will sign my initials on Saturday lineups if I am on the list. If I cannot make a Saturday meet or Relay carnival, I will call my coach.
- I will show up on time for practice, warm-ups and traveling to away meets.
- I will tell my parents what time I need to be at Manor Woods for each meet or event.
- I will stay in the team area during meets and be ready to swim when I am called for my event. I will have my cap and goggles ready.
- I will not leave practice or a meet without telling my coach.
- I will introduce myself to my big or little buddy.
- I understand I have a responsibility to my teammates and coaches and understand I may lose my chance to swim in meets if I do not follow the rules.
- I will show respect to my coaches and teammates and will practice good sportsmanship.
- I will have fun and do my best.
Manor Woods Parent Responsibilities
As a Manor Woods Terrapin parent,
I will ensure my child goes to practice each day.
If my child cannot attend practice or a meet, I will make sure they have signed out in the absent book as far in advance as possible. If the lineup for a meet has been posted, the coach will be notified.
I will ensure my child has initialed the Saturday lineups, if applicable. If they cannot make a Saturday meet or Relay carnival at the last minute, I will call the coach.
I will ensure they arrive on time for practice, warm-ups and traveling to away meets.
I will supervise my child at Manor Woods meets and events. I understand they need to remain in the team area during meets.
I will review the Manor Woods handbook and website for pertinent information.
My child will not leave practice or a meet without telling a coach.
I will introduce my child to their big/little buddy if necessary.
I understand my child has a responsibility to his teammates and coaches and understand they may lose their opportunity to participate if they do not follow the rules.
I agree to volunteer for at least 3 activities/meets during the season.
I will show respect to coaches, swimmers and other parents and will practice good sportsmanship.
Swimmers and parents are reminded that they represent the Manor Woods Swim Team and Club. Team spirit and good sportsmanship are expected. No derogatory comments, signs, or behavior will be tolerated. Repeated or flagrant violations of these rules will be dealt with by the coaches, team reps, and the involved swimmer’s parents, and may result in suspension or dismissal from the team.
Swim Team Meet Information
The Manor Woods Swim Team (MWST) is a competing member of the Montgomery County Swim League(MCSL) and must abide by all rules and regulations as directed. Except as modified by MCSL rules, U.S. Swimming (USS) rules and regulations will govern the conduct of the meet. Modification to the USS rules and regulations specific to the MCSL are determined by majority vote of the member swim teams, as represented by the “A” Team Reps.